Food, Entertainment, and Arts

Food, Entertainment, and Arts

Friday, February 12, 2010

101 Things I love about Greater Portland Maine












I have decided to start a list of things I love about this area in order to entice new buyers to the area or just to remind fellow residents about what a great city we live in. I will add a few at a time and feel free to tell me about things I might have missed. So, considering this a workin progress, here are my first 10:
1. The waterfront; we are located on Casco Bay leading out to the Atlantic Ocean and a host of beautiful islands, some populated year round.
2. The rich history; there are many historical sites and buildings including the Portland Observatory, built in 1807, it is the last surviving maritime signal tower in the United States. Using both a telescope and lantern, two-way communication between ship and shore was possible several hours before an incoming vessel reached the docks. I will return to our history from time to time.
3. Restaurants--Oh the variety is incredible! This is a category I will return to regularly since I rarely cook. Just tried a new one yesterday with my sister. The Corner Room on Exchange was very relaxed with a fun waitstaff person named James providing great service. We had a delicious pizza with olives. They served up some yummy bread with olive oil, too.
4. I feel very safe in Portland. As a lifelong resident, I have never worried about crime rates.
5. Museum of Art, always interesting with a well-stocked gift shop and cafe with fresh sandwiches and baked goods. Sunday mornings they have live jazz in the cafe. I will keep you posted about their exhibits.
6. Galleries, lots of them and on the first Friday of every month, there is an Art Walk with all the galleries offering wine, cheese etc.
7.Theater, we have several from professional to community. I will return to this category with reviews. This Sunday I am going to Portland Stage to see The Mystery of Irma Vep.
8. Cupcakes, now this category is one dear to my heart!! I have found a really good cake with buttercream frosting at Two Fat Cats Bakery.
9.Antiques, the area has lots of great shops including some really wonderful group ones with multiple dealers displaying wares. I look forward to the Spring opening of Cornish Trading Center.
10.People, I will feature interesting people that I meet or know already. This is a very friendly city!
More soon.....

No comments:

Post a Comment